Sunday, May 12, 2013

The buzz of connecting women: a thank you to Helensburgh

So much is written about how it takes a village to raise a child, with plentiful nodding about the community spirit of days-gone-by. And I feel constantly bombarded with modern-day problems arising from people living in their own isolated houses, struggling with their own private issues and not knowing how to reach out for support. Well I want to have a little rave about Helensburgh, NSW, the town in which I live, and especially its women. Something must be in the water. This place is abuzz with connectivity, like neurons firing in a toddler's brain.

This town of maybe 6000 people, surrounded by national parks and an escarpment that drops off to the seaside, is to me an oasis not touched by nearby urban sprawl. I guess affordable property has attracted more than your average proportion of young families. Houses have grassy yards and hills hoists, bushwalking is minutes away, as are sandcastles and ocean pools. And perhaps this has brought together a high proportion of families with a common ethos: escape the rat-race, spend time in fresh air. Grow.

I have no doubt that this connectivity has sprung from an online hub where more and more of us womenfolk are regularly going to check in, to give out, to ask for input. This local facebook group (called 'The Mama Tree') brings (mostly) mothers together so we can share, well, anything really: promote your small business or community initiative, ask a question about a child's rash or seek a recommendation for a plumber/electrician/removalist, etc. Just in the past month I've noticed a mothers' circus group, a local meal-sharing initiative, a 'mumpreneur's business expo', community markets, an art group for littlies to experience art and nature. And there seems to be more and more every day. Whatever the reason, my community experiences in 'the Burgh' are nothing like anywhere I've ever lived. This town is buzzing with women, mothers, reaching out to each other, helping, sharing and building a rich and vibrant community.

I've been thinking about how lucky I am to live in such a motivated and warm community and today I read an article in the Sun-Herald that prompted me to share my gratitude about the local buzz. The article described the problems society is facing as people 'pursue happiness', and talks about Hugh McKay's latest book (The Good Life: What Makes a Life Worth Living?). The basic point is that, by people making their own personal happiness their lifetime goal, their birthright, they're missing something richer. It's ironic, but McKay argues that instead of putting yourself and your needs first, if you seek a wholeness with your community, you end up finding that yearned-for personal happiness.

So, Helensburgh, thank you for giving me wholeness. My life and my household is zinging with connectivity. How funny that the internet that has taken people away from face-to-face encounters is now fostering just that. This is its unstoppable evolution - we need to be connected.

And (while I'm talking up community engagement), here's a plug: if you're in the Burgh and fancy swapping a meal so you get a night off cooking - go to 'Megabatch! 2508' on facebook (and just to be clear, I have no personal vested interest in Megabatch!, I just love love love the idea - and that connectedness brings my personal gain).

No comments:

Post a Comment