Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Who's Herman?

My lovely friend handed me a container filled with sourdough cake mix. "It's Herman", she said, "haven't you heard of Herman?". I hadn't, should I have?

Turns out Herman is a friendship cake, a bit like the old fashioned chain letters we shared in 1970s. But Herman is not just passed on, he is fed and grown. Some people talk to Herman and fill him with love and stories. After a few days, Herman is split into four. One portion becomes a delicious sourdough cake to enjoy. Three other portions are then passed on to friends, thus spreading the love and giving Herman a new lease on life to begin the cycle again.

Herman has been bubbling away in my kitchen, growing bigger every day. I'm nearly ready to split him up and cook my portion. Recipes abound but I think I'll go with apple and cinamon.


Apparently Herman has done the rounds of the Blue Mountains and some parts of the western Sydney area, but hadn't made it to the Illawarra (at least not into my circle).

So here he is, I'll soon be sharing mine and I'd love to hear from anyone out there who ends up with a portion of Herman.

No comments:

Post a Comment