Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Roadblocks, or just life?

Have you ever decided to dive into a new project, excited with an idea of what it could be, only to find it just won't happen the way you imagined? This could apply to all sorts of new projects - a new garden bed, planning the route you'll take on holidays - and the frustration of missing the mark is still the same. Well my new project has been to get this blog up and running so anyone who's interested can read about the latest goings on in the house of Munn. It is intended to fill in the gaps created by phone calls not made, emails not written, coffees that just haven't happened, etc, etc (although it's by no means as personal). But the roadblock to my new project is the same as the one in the way of the phone calls: children.

I struggle to comprehend how any woman can maintain inner peace in the face of raising children. Are all of you feeling that sense of only just holding your world together? It doesn't appear so from my vantage point, so are you masking the chaos with birthday cards sent on time, a car that is shiny and vacuumed, garden beds that aren't smothered by weeds?

I'm only new to the responsibility of raising children, plural. Eight weeks into it I'm just coming up for air. I know that one child under two is a handful, and it's lucky that I have two hands, because two under two is testing me. I fail to understand how my own mother managed three of us under two. And the biggest mystery to me is how anyone does it when they have really difficult kids. My two are both relatively good boys: the newest (known to us affectionately as bugalugs) doesn't cry much, sleeps well and does all the things a good baby should do. And monkey-boy, the older, is sweet, affectionate and amazingly good at telling us what he wants. But still every day has its roadblocks. I wake up in the morning with an idea of what we'll get done today, but as the day unravels those things move onto the 'to-do' lists for future days. So I'm thinking that perhaps it's not roadblocks but just life that gets in the way. And a more enlightened way is just to allow the roadblocks to redirect the day to a new, unexpected place. To meander rather than planning the route. And yes, sometimes that place is sitting on the lounge with a crying baby and a naughty toddler that didn't want a day sleep, ringing my husband to see if he'll be home soon, typing this blog with one hand just so it gets done. But sometimes it will be a funner place. And no matter what there are always the moments that make you laugh out loud.

Monkey-boy and his dad were in a hospital corridor when monkey pointed 'look daddy, lady in a wheelbarrow'. The lady in the wheelchair didn't seem to hear but her carer smiled.

So here we are, the blog has finally been created and we're off into the unknown. I hope you'll enjoy the journey too.

1 comment:

  1. None of us have any inner peace. We are all clinging desperately to the merry-go-round with white knuckle terror silently screaming "stop the ride! I want to get off!"

    Surround yourself with mamas whose homes are littered with yesterdays washing and who paths are cluttered with debris that never made it into the house. You can tell a lot about a house by the amount of crap on the front veranda.

    Hang in there. Its still early days with two and its bloody hard yakka. Soon you will hit your stride and feel some peace return.

    ReplyDelete