Thursday, June 27, 2013

In praise of Leunig

There's something about Michael Leunig, cartoonist extraordinaire, that I think is almost god-like. It's his whimsy, for sure, but also the insights he shares into the simple (but important) things in life. We often forget to notice simple things, but Leunig notices, and shares. For that I always seek out his wisdom, or it finds its way to me.

Leunig's biography tells of his education coming from not just a school, but also 'various factory gates, street corners, kitchen tables, paddocks, rubbish tips, quarries, loopholes, puddles and abattoirs in Melbourne’s industrial Western suburbs'. I love the wisdom found in a puddle. And a loophole.

If I were to list my childhood education in this way I'd include insights I've gained whilst floating around on pool lounges; looking into the big brown eyes of my labradore-kelpie; hanging out smoking in kmart cafeterias; shivering whilst waiting for the ball to come down to the shooters' end of a cold netball court; watching my dad sling a billy of tea around in a big loopy circle; and observing the homeless woman (known locally as 'Juicy Lucy') with trepidation and fear at the Parramatta train station bus stop.

These things we do, all of them, they shape us, they contribute to all that we are today. Especially the ones that zing us with living (and I'm pretty sure don't come from looking into a TV screen). These are the scarey things, the lonely things, the naughty things, the brave things. Leunig knows this and his magic pencils bring it to us.

As an ode to Leunig, I want to share a few of my favourites:





I'd also like to admit I don't know what the rules are with reproducing Leunig's work here. They are Leunig's works, his copyright and his IP. They are from his heart and have touched mine. I hope that sharing the love fills in any gaps in my knowledge of blog-cartoon-sharing-rules.

And if any one is interested in more Leunig, please do go to Michael Leunig's official website: http://www.leunig.com.au/

1 comment:

  1. I like him too. Did you know he has his own online appreciation page?? www.curlyflat.net/

    ReplyDelete