Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Note to self: you will NEVER be this young again


Today is my husband's 40th birthday and it's got me thinking about age. Even though 40 seems like such a big number (and I was 40 a couple of years back now), this day, today, I realised that I am younger than I will ever be again.

It seems obvious, right? But I'm sure it's something we forget in our day-to-day scrabble through the density of life. 

I tend to look in the mirror nowadays and wonder who is this middle-aged woman looking back, especially because I feel the same inside as I've felt for 20-odd years.

But it's dawned on me that some day in the future I will look back at the photos of myself now, and probably notice how young and fresh-faced I was 'back then'. Haven't you done that with photos of your parents, or your grand-parents? 

I am at a line in the sand that I will never come back to. So I just wanted to say to any of you out there who, like me, have despaired when looking in the mirror: youth (and beauty) is all relative,and completely subject to reinterpretation in hindsight.

 So smile and enjoy now. Because you're worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking the same thing lately! Trying to remind myself that I thought I was horrid looking at 20. Now I would luuuurve to look like that again, so if I keep scrabbling around this rock long enough, there will come a day when I think what I have today looks good.

    The other aging-related issue I've been trying to get Zen with is that this is definitely a time where the upper-middle class (and beyond) has a big advantage. Imagine being able to get weekly facials, buy the $600 cream, go in for annual laser/fractal/radial treatments (or whatever the current fad is). But this is our lot in this lifetime, so I guess I'd better just become one of those engaging middle aged gals that glows from within! x tj

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJ I would rather see your glow from within than anything a fractal treatment could do to your face. No matter what the cost, a within-glow is worth so much more. xxx

    ReplyDelete